View Single Post
Old 05-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #63
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernandez.amie View Post
Do you have any workout tips for future aircrewmen?

I know the training is intense.
The biggest thing is running... you will be required to pass your PST-Out with a score above the basic Navy standard in order to graduate NACCS, as well as run 3-5 miles in formation at least at a 10min/mi pace. If you fall out of a run, you will receive a counseling chit... 3 chits and you can be dropped from the program. The other reason I advocate making sure you can run is because it's the only thing that can injure you at NACCS if you're not up to speed. Push-ups, sit-ups, and everything else that's required during stress-sets can be improved by simply doing them everyday and aren't likely to leave you injured... but running every day at a faster pace than you're accustomed can and will lead to shin splints, stress fractures, and other injuries. Going med-down at NACCS is not good... it rolls you out of class and makes you start from the beginning, and can get you dropped if you are down for too long or go down more than once. I saw more candidates get dropped due to running-related injuries than failing water survival evolutions or their PST-Out.

And, on the topic of swimming... the key to passing the water survival training at NACCS isn't being a powerful swimmer... it's being comfortable in the water. They will teach you how to do the survival swim strokes that they want... but they can't teach you how to remain calm when you transition from treading water to the prone-float and have to slow your heart-rate in order to conserve oxygen. If you haven't spent a lot of time in the water, get in a pool and just float around... get accustomed to being underwater and see how your body stays buoyant and keeps your near the surface.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote