View Single Post
Old 05-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
OatmealRenegade

OatmealRenegade is on a distinguished road
Default Opportunity Cost

I'm seeking input from experienced sailors regarding the quality of life that can be expected for anyone like myself.
I have a lot going on, so will bullet topics which may be helpful to discuss:

-I'm 28 years old, in DEP for over 2 years, so I'm reconsidering my age as a factor which wasn't as important 2 years ago

-I'd like to meet my partner and begin a family before I'm 34 (personal preference), and I don't think the nuke life will be conducive to that

-I have a bachelor's degree but became jobless, so I joined the Navy for security

-I'm not a workaholic and I enjoy variety from day to day

-It stands to reason that if I contribute an effort (as a civilian) equal to that which would be given to the Navy, then I will find myself in an equivalent career position in 6 years (but with my choice of career)

Is there anything I seem to be missing as to the value of becoming a nuke? My recruiter is aware of my apprehensions in terms of giving up "life path A" for "life path B" and has counseled me on the possibility of becoming a non-nuke Reservist.