View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #277
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joribear View Post
Thanks so much! I know he's planning on going to sub school after A school - if aircrew is going away sometime soon, would you recommend him going that route first and then sub school?
Getting a spot on subs will really just come down to if they have an opening/a need for it at the time he's picking orders. My best advice to him is to be vocal about what he's looking to do with his instructors during A-school. If the Fleet is out looking for a new sub guy, they might (no promises though) be able to help him out there! Always be your own best advocate.

Quote:
He's a bit of an adrenaline junkie (ok, not a bit, a LOT), so I completely expect him to do his first tour and then try to get in with special warfare. He is a "take the world by storm" kind of kid and always has been - we're lucky he didn't end up in trouble with the law growing up! LOL
The specific program he needs to look at is TIO (Tactical Information Operations). The selection process is pretty intense, but it sounds like he enjoys a challenge. Feel free to reach out if he has specific questions; I've got several friends in that community.

Quote:
To give you an idea as to how active he is, he graduated salutatorian with Varsity letters in basketball, track, band, choir, cheerleading (joined cheer because he thought it would be funny, ended up going to London with it...), scholastics, plus was involved in scouts, Civil Air Patrol and community theater. The two phone calls and three letters his brother and I have gotten from him while at RTC all carry the same theme: "I'm bored and ready to graduate A school and start bing a REAL sailor!" WTH gets bored at boot camp? Oh yeah, my kid!!
*Edited to add*
He's in division 919, doing drum line (quads), has been RPO (until he had his wisdom teeth out), AROC and "forward - something" (he said it had something to do with organization of supplies?), so he's picking up extra stuff to do while at boot & is still bored!
Sounds like he enjoys staying busy! Boot camp can be a little monotonous. It's really all about assimilating you into that Navy mindset, getting adjusted to our culture, and in general just becoming a Sailor. If he's anything like me then he's going to have that kind of "when does the REAL fun start?" mentality all the way to his first command. Once he hits the Fleet though I have no doubt that he'll be able to stay as busy as he wants to.

/r
CTT1