View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 02:06 AM   #15
Temen
**Active Duty**

Temen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auridan View Post
So, I'm back from TAD. I come back to work on my own ship, and everyone wants to know what I got qualified in. What they're REALLY asking is, what PQS did I get signed off? I admit I'm not very good at gathering signatures, but I stood enough watches to have a decent idea of the stations in TOP, so my brain at least should be basically qualified. That answer got me a bunch of irritated looks, so I grabbed my PQS binder and held it out to the first available 2nd class to start signing.

It bothers me to no end that the paperwork is all they care about, and they don't even check that you know what the packet says you know. I could have spent my 3 weeks underway forging 8 different signatures and signing a whole novel of PQS off for myself, and I guarantee it would NEVER be checked, nor would I be asked to prove my knowledge. And when I do ask people to train me or test me, they give me only the most cursory information, dismissing my requests for something more in-depth with crap like, "You don't need to know that", "You're never going to use this", the ever-hated "You're nuking it", and my favorite, "You can't possibly remember all this stuff."

/rant
That's one nice thing about using ASM to keep track of our quals, you can't forge signatures. You can still "gun deck" your quals and get a buddy to sign them off without ever discussing or doing practicals.
Still, I know the feeling of trying to learn the proper way and no one wanting to teach you. For my Apprentice, no one wanted to do the discussions and just told me to read the publications. I already did that in A-School and C-School! I might as well have just been automatically given it when I got to my first command. I always thought to reason for discussions was to bring in someone else's experience, not just read the publications on your own.
Temen is offline   Reply With Quote