Thread: Just out
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #12
Barbazu

Barbazu is on a distinguished road

First, I'm in the reserve so after A school I just went home. There's no PCS for me. My family stayed at home while I was in A school. My wife has a good job so it didn't make sense to risk her job when I was just going to come home. I lived in the barracks while at A school. But I knew several folks that had their families come with them and were able to live off base. If your family comes with you that's definitely the best choice. But if your school is short it might be more financially beneficial to live at the barracks until you get stationed somewhere. I was away from my family for just shy of 7 months. It was difficult. On the one hand, I missed them and it's hard to parent when you're 1,000 miles away. On the other hand, I made a lot of friends and spent a lot of time hanging out with them. That caused some unforeseen problems for me. My wife wasn't too keen on me being friends with a bunch of 19 year olds.... Coming into the Navy at 38 years old and an E2 was extremely difficult to get use to. In fact, it sucked. I've had a ton of life experience and know myself quite well. I know how the world works and I know how to get things done. But, I had LPOs that were 20 years younger than me telling me what to do and how to do it. It was pretty annoying. Now that I'm established at a command and attached to a unit my LPO, LCPO, and CO know that I'm a hard worker and that I'm not an idiot so it goes a little smoother these days. Boot camp and A school are pretty difficult for older folks. But that's not the Navy. Once you're through with training you'll find that for the most part the Navy is laid back. I have friends that are chiefs, senior chiefs, and even a master chief. One of my best buddies is LTJG, and I have a sort of mentor that's a Captain. They're not yelling at me and ordering me around. They're my friends. That's not something you'll experience during your initial active duty for training. But it's definitely possible once you're in the fleet. Being older takes a little getting used to, but overall it's not that bad. Just don't be a dirtbag and everything will go well with you in the Navy.
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote