View Single Post
Old 02-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #12
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyuke View Post
So, I took my ASVAB yesterday and my AFQT was 98 so my recruiter is pushing me towards Nuke. I like all the money they are talking about, but I don't really know anything about the program or the job.

So are there any nukes on here who can talk about what being a Nuke is like? Would you reccomend it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyuke View Post
I guess what I am mostly interested in is computers, but the pay is really, really good for a nuke. So, should I just take it?

One of the bonuses of going into the navy for me is the ability to travel. I hear that nukes never get to leave the carrier. True?

I also have heard that the job kind of sucks, and the bright spot it the pay.

I guess I am more interested in IT or CTT, but I don't want to pass up a good oppertunity.
I've got good friends in various phases of the NNPTC training pipeline... it's not worth it unless you really like nuclear power. Most of the ones who were just in it for the bonus have rolled out of their classes or dropped out all together.

How's your fitness and swimming? If you'll forgive the shameless self-promotion, the Naval Aircrewman Operator (AWO) rating may also appeal to you if you like money, computers, and travelling... we get Top Secret/SCI clearances, which are worth a lot of money to private companies if you choose to get out. And we also get extra flight pay every month and make an average of $5k-$20k in per diem on every deployment (depending on location)... our jobs involve the ultimate form of hide-and-seek, sub-hunting, as well as operating Anti-Surface Warfare systems that, while classified, are pretty freaking cool... and for travelling, we go to all the usual places ships tend to go, as well as locations like the Netherlands, El Salvador, the Philippines, Korea, Japan, Rota, Spain, Sigonella, Sicily, etc... as an AW, you're going to get much more time off the flight-line to enjoy your deployment or detachment site as well... mandatory crew rest means you shall have at least 12hrs of "rest" between missions... "rest" usually means drinking or sightseeing.

Aircrew is a lengthy and challenging training pipeline though... AWO specifically is over 1.5 years in training with a lot of physical, intellectual, and emotional challenges associated. But it's absolutely worth it! PM me if you want more info.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote