View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #26
chemelle1

chemelle1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast View Post
Sorry to be negative but I have to be.
So, I had my own haircut before left to the bootcamp. I had nice long hair.
In the bootcamp I saw afroamericans (the girls) don't have to cut their hair. They were even allowed to have WIG on the top of their hair so no one really saw how their own hair long. They don't even washed their head regurarly and they had a terrible smell. (we were required to shower every single day, etc so the Navy put attention for that)
I think it's a positive discrimination for them. Can't believe it
(other thing that few of them had their nature look fake nail during all the time, no one asked them to remove it.)
1st: AfroAmerican is not the term. It's African American. It's not hard to remember.
2nd: African American women (probably) aren't required to cut their afro's because our hair grows up instead of down. An afro would have to be pretty large in order to break the "no hair below the collar" rule. That being said, Afro's can't be longer that two inches from the scalp. So if I showed up to RTC with an afro longer than that, I'd have to cut it.

I realize that it's at the discretion of the RDC's to determine the actual length of the afro, but African American women still have their own hair rules to adhere to at RTC.

As for wigs/sew-ins, I'm pretty sure they still have to adhere to the regular standard of cut above the collar. Anyone can wear a wig and hide their hair length, so I'm not sure how that's "positive discrimination"

I am sorry that you had to deal with a "terrible smell". African American women generally don't wash their hair as much as women from other ethnicities. So I'm sure that, coupled with sweat from working out only exacerbated the problem.
chemelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote