View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Auridan
**Active Duty**

Auridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond reputeAuridan has a reputation beyond repute

3) Bring a wristwatch, but understand you only get to wear it if you're in a leadership position (and for inspections, RCPO only). But you can keep it in your drawer and use it to wake yourself up for watch, pre-reveille shave, etc.

4) Sending that box home is the only avoidable expense I remember from boot, other than buying divisional pictures at the end. If you want to toss everything you brought that doesn't fit in a sock (your valuables: wallet, watch, and so on), you can do just that. You don't exactly get shopping opportunities at RTC, other than for hygiene supplies as you run out.

5) Bring copies of whatever ID documents you like, and possibly bank info (voided check), but leave it at that. If you have your direct deposit already set up, you should be good to go for pay. I don't remember needing the ID stuff I brought: anything important should be in your enlistment packet, which will also hold all the medical stuff you mentioned. That's why they make a fat folder for you at MEPS. It's your official medical/dental record, and it will follow you wherever you go.

6) You probably don't need a full-on address book, but if you think you do, that'll be a fine size. Especially if you can keep it in your wallet. Nobody will even know about it. Do NOT bring a sleep mask, that'll just get thrown away. Your seabag will include a wool watch cap that serves the purpose admirably, although it is a bit scratchy. If you go in winter and get the extra gear, you'll have a 3-hole balaclava as well that's much softer: that's what I used. Do NOT be wearing it in the morning when an RDC walks in.

7) You can go to boot camp with no money at all and be fine...remember, they are paying you for being there, and you literally cannot spend enough money on toiletries and notecards to run through even a quarter of it. Your uniforms will be covered by the initial issue allowance. For some reason a lot of people find this confusing, but it's very simple: You get paid a set amount of money to cover your seabag, and then they take it away and give you the gear. It works out like they just gave it to you for free. On top of that you'll be getting your base pay, which may be a little wonky for your first few months, but will more than cover a few haircuts. Don't bother paying for a haircut before you ship out, because even if you're flat bald they will charge you, sit you in the chair, slap you over the head, and send you off. If you want to bring a bit of cash, keep it to 20 bucks max: you won't need it anyway.

8) Yes, you can have a laptop, cell phone, and all that crap at A school. There's not much at Great Lakes considered contraband, as far as I remember. I do not recommend you get a lot, though: when you leave, there's no telling where you'll go, and the less you have to pack the better until you know what your more permanent living situation will be.

9) You can submit a chit for whatever you want, but don't hold your breath. I wouldn't count on being able to get that weekend off, duty or no duty. They can't fault you for trying, though, so ask when you get there.

If you're not happy with it, fix it, because ain't nobody gonna fix it for you.
Auridan is offline   Reply With Quote