View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Alright let's see. I'm currently at DLI for Mandarin, and I won't be graduating until late 2014.

You started a new thread, so I'm not sure what your quotation is referencing.

What language you get is somewhat based on choice and somewhat on luck. When you're in bootcamp all of the CTIs in your group (for us it was ours and brother div's, around 10 altogether but that's unusual for just 2 divs) and talk to the CTI on post about what's available. He or she has specific slots that are open for him to class you into. It all depends on what he has and who else is there.

The first time I went there, he had lots of slots for Korean and Farsi, a few for Arabic and Russian. He tried to put all of us in a language that we wanted and had possible experience with (e.g. giving Farsi to someone who already knew French) but he was limited by the slots he had open. I got Korean, since I already knew Japanese (Chinese had been my first choice, but he didn't have it). But then I got hurt in bootcamp and wound up staying there past when my original class would have started. So I went to see him again, and he didn't have any Korean left, but I reminded him that I'd wanted Chinese to begin with and he was able to put me in the next class.

Within my class we have people who already speak a bunch of different languages - Arabic included.

As far as not needing which ever language - the Navy's still putting people in all variants of Arabic, Russian, Farsi, Spanish, Hebrew, Chinese and Korean. As far as numbers go I would guesstimate Arabic, Farsi and Spanish are the most common and Hebrew is the least.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote