View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #18
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpr77 View Post
When I will go to MEPS, if I get a CTN job offer, can I choose CTN rate if I do not have any experience in a computer area?
Absolutely. That's the entire reason we have training commands; to teach you these new skills. It's also a reason the Navy is a great option, because you can get paid to learn a new skill or trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbpr77 View Post
I don't have computer knowledge, only the basic things as many people know, emails, search information, videos, Microsoft Word, etc. You know, all of us already have those basic knowledge. Also I read a little about it's study environment, closed classroom, all class materials stay on classroom not with you, you have little study and review time. Instead of brain, you need to have a computer!. How difficult it's this school for someone who does not have previous experience in the area?.
You're correct that most of the material you're working on in class isn't something you can take home with you, but they will make plenty of time for you to come in and study so don't worry about that. If you want to study, somebody will help make that happen.

JCAC has one of the highest drop rates in the Navy. The reason for this is because it's a lot of new things for most people and it's very fast paced. Also, not everyone has the right mind for this kind of work. What I mean by that is that someone might be very smart, but computers and networks work in a very specific way. Not everyone can understand it as quickly as the class needs you to.

If you're not very comfortable with technology then I wouldn't recommend this rate to you unless you're EXTREMELY passionate about it. Don't just pick a job for money, pick something you can really be happy doing. If you're interested and involved in what you do then your life will be much happier.

CTR on the other hand does not require as deep of a technical understanding (at least not at the start of your career). So if you're new to technology, I would recommend that before I would CTN. You still get all the benefits of doing this kind of job and you have a SIGNIFICANTLY higher chance of passing the school.

/r
CTT1