Thread: MA Rating Info
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #28
F/S-MARodriguez

F/S-MARodriguez is on a distinguished road
Question Tons of Master At Arms questions

I've got a few questions about MA's if ya'll got the time to answer them.

1- What exactly does an MA do? I've read the list of responsibilities on about.com about 200 times and still don't get it.

2- On ships, do we just stand around guarding areas and standing watch? Or, do we respond to disturbances such as contraband reports, fights, etc. etc.

3- At CONUS and OCONUS bases that are generally not in a war zone or near one (Spain, Italy, Greece) do we assume the duties of a civilian police officer or do we stand around a gate?

4- In the event we are deployed to a war zone or near one (Afghanistan, Bahrain) what would our job there entail?

6- Is the MA rate everything you thought it would be? For example, I've got the mentality that at times, it will be menial work guarding posts and areas watching paint dry and grass grows. I also understand that as I advance, I will get more responsibility such as law-enforcement and things of the sort.

7- If you could go back to the minute you chose your rate, all things equal, would you have chosen a different rate? If so, would it be because you hate the MA rate, or because you find the other rate much cooler/better?

Thank you all for taking the time to answer my questions. If these have been asked and answered before, I apologize (I used the search function, I promise!). I believe future MA's after myself could also use this information.
F/S-MARodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote