View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 08:50 PM   #9
carz2435

carz2435 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PringleMan View Post
One question I would have is are you totally sold/locked in on a specific rate? Guppy mentioned MA so I am not sure if there was another conversation that I missed.

It is a good idea to try and come up with a short list, maybe three or so, that you would be ok doing. You should definitely still aim for your goal, but be prepared for your chosen rate not being available for a while.

Also, your ship date is determined by the rate you choose. When the Navy offers rates to new recruits, they are filling a pre-scheduled class section. The exact details of when the class will start may vary by a couple of weeks depending on how many people how quickly enlist with that rate, but typically they know the month that class will start well ahead of time.

Anyways, point is if you are trying to leave by a certain time, be prepared with a couple of rates, just in case your primary is not immediately available.

If I go to MEPS and I don't score what I need can I come back to retake the ASVAB to get the required score and then the job? I talked to one of my coaches who is a Marine, and he said don't sign on for a job that you don't want because if you meet all the criteria they are gonna want you and they will work to get you the job you want.
carz2435 is offline   Reply With Quote