Thread: NEC
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #4
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrodrig2016 View Post
I apologize if what I'm saying doesn't make sense as I am still trying to learn the language as well. But when I refer to NEC in the IS community I'm referring to the specific trade for example Operational Intelligence Analyst, Expeditionary Warfare Intelligence Analyst, Imagery Analyst, etc that you would be going to C school for. With the reserves I am able to select any billet that I want. So what I'm trying to understand is that I know every NEC does something different, but to translate my military experience to the civilian world might be quite challenging depending on which one I select. I was inquiring which one could I do on the outside if I retired from the Navy in the next couple of years? Does this make sense now? I am sorry for the confusion

jzhaun is on point in saying that most NECs are related to a billet. IE, the Navy isn't just going to dish out tens of thousands of dollars to send you to a school for a skillset that you're not gonna be using. The reserves is a bit different since you can route a request up your CoC for a specific school, but at the end of the day the approval for that comes down to what your commands training budget is, timelines, qualification needs, etc.

As far as who deploys the most, I'd have to go check the current advertisements next time I'm at work. But SELRES deployments have gone down significantly from what they were a few years ago. That may change if things ramp up again though.

If you have a question about a specific NEC or duty, let me know. That would probably be easier than me listing out every single NEC that IS's have lol If I don't know the answer I'll just hit up one of the IS types that work with me.

/r
CTT1