View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 02:30 AM   #11
IdeaGuy

IdeaGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by contigo26 View Post
During my schooling we were introduced to basics of computers then went in depth further. We learned about the different components of a computer, how to assemble it, test if it works, also learned some programming like HTML, PHP, CSS, JavaScript, made some simple website forms for projects and stuff, and more on the topics we learned about handling a business and applying your IT skills in a company whether its managing a server, doing maintenance, updates, security and stuff.

You'll be building a PC from scratch if that's what you meant. But most of the time you dont really build alot. You just assist the needs of the business being able to support, troubleshoot, finding the cause of the problem of why the PC isn't working or this particular programs like Outlook, MS Office and stuff. Also pretty much implement ideas along the way to improve your systems.
i got a job for local business that had their own in house servers (it was pretty cool as I've never seen real servers before being that I am a software guy) and I worked with a College Grad in Systems Administration (he was
a great guy I liked him a lot).

Everytime something broke I wanted to look at the code and he wanted to look at the logs.

He knew how to use the buttons and menus from the software to make it do
stuff. I knew how rewrite the software to make it do stuff.

e.g.
Sales Person: "Can't we have a button that does this and that?"
Systems Admin: "No because there is no button that does that and this"
Me: "I could just make an html form submission element whose action
points to a back end script I'll write that'll make CRUD requests to various API's so
that this and that can be done."
Everyone: "ummm, what??"

pretty much no one knew what I was doing so I was laid off. Thus I joined
The Navy. Lol. Where I live there are no coding jobs.

The Systems Admin knew a lot about protocols, the operating system, how to set up a server from
scratch, and how to set up our telephony software, & pretty much the same thing you described.

Do you use any type of special software to do your IT stuff? He used all sorts of software.

How do you go about Implementing your idea's to improve the systems? Can you give some examples?
IdeaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote