View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 05:22 AM   #17
JoeSpook

JoeSpook is on a distinguished road

I work at a bank right now and we have three notaries on staff including myself, out of an office of nine. We used to have five, but two switched offices so we're getting a couple of others trained.

Banks have lots of legal papers come through -- Durable Financial POAs (we even generate those), loan closing documents, securities transfers... we do it all. Definitely check with your local bank. They may have particular rules about what they can and can't notarize (ex. I'm not allowed to touch a Living Will or an I-9), and some will only notarize for their customers (which is stupid 'cause they're a Notary Public, as in "public" as in "for the benefit of everybody"). Still, your local bank* is a great shot.

Outside of banks, public libraries sometimes have notaries. Also, most lawyers are notaries and they probably won't charge you much for their time. Just a couple of thoughts.

Worst case scenario, bring your papers and your IDs to me in WV and I'll notarize everything for you. :P

*n.b.: if your local bank can't do it, check with a national bank in your area. Chase, Bank of America, and Wells Fargo should all have generally the same views on notaries as I do. If your local bank rep gives you a hassle, chalk it up to small-town mentality and take it somewhere with a bigger regulatory oversight who knows what the "public" in "Notary Public" means.

Best,
j

DEP: 20140630
CTI: 20140709
Ship: 20141201

Last edited by JoeSpook; 09-02-2014 at 05:27 AM. Reason: footnote
JoeSpook is offline   Reply With Quote