Thread: Rank
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Jazzy

Jazzy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info. Yes he is in AECF program and leaves Nov 4th. I'm just studying as much info as I can. Can't wait until he graduates and find out if he's an ET or FC. Is there a better of the two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
Right after bootcamp no, he wouldn't be eligible yet. I take it your boyfriend's an AECF since you're posting in this thread?

In that case: AECF is one of the rates that does automatic promotion to E4 but only after completion of A school and time in rate. So that's at least 6 months after his first day of active duty, but if his A school isn't done he may not get it right at the six month mark. (This is the case for me, I've been an E3 for 10 months already, but I'm not eligible to advance until I graduate. A petty officer has to have a rating!)

After he gets E4, it's generally one year before you can test for E5 - although I think you can test after six months if you get an EP (early promotion) on your eval. The tests are given twice a year. Passing the test doesn't guarantee that you'll advance though - they only take a certain percentage, and there's a few other things besides the test that go into the determination of who gets promoted.

After that E6 is the same thing, but it's 3 years after getting E5 (once again I think EP will reduce the time somewhat).

P.S. It's rate/rating for enlisted. Rank refers to officers.
Jazzy is offline   Reply With Quote