View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #255
ejrwelch
**Active Duty**

ejrwelch is on a distinguished road

So I'm answering in reverse order. I graduated about a year and a half ago from DLI anywho here we go!

when you sign for CTI you DO sign a paper saying you volunteer for aircrew/sub. Those billets are sparse though. During your last few months at A school you'll get a dream sheet and can put shore as your top 3 choices. chance are you will get it. You do not go to sub school as a rider but would go to aircrew school as aircrew. You will NOT get outconus orders your first tour since you have to go to your F school which is located at one of the four permanent duty stations.

You can not make e4 until after you graduate your a school. So if you take one of the harder languages thats almost a year and a half in. You may get frocked right after graduation or a few months later at your PDS. Depending on when you make e4 will depend on which cycle you'll be able to test for e5 first. For example I got frocked in Dec and that was the cut off for the Mar cycle. You can make E5 fairly quickly but the advancement exam is killer. That's about all I can say on it. I do know several people who did pass it on their first time up though. I just tested for the third time today! -_- E5 is the technical expert so having experience helps alot and will make you a better E5.

What you find on the Internet about where people go is pretty accurate. Those are the four you can go to on first tour depending on language. good job researching it prior to!

if you reenlist you can get it in your contract to go back to DLI. I'd personally never want to go back. There are a lot of resources (open to everyone in the military! pm if in and interested in learning a second language!) available to teach yourself an additional language. I'm working on language 3 and 4 right now! Yay me!

Language assignment is very random and needs of the navy. I got lucky as was asked what I wanted and got my 2nd choice. woo. The CTICS who assigns the language won't know about your experience unless you tell them. So don't bring it up if you don't want to. They also try to put you in something other than what you know so they can get the most out of you. You can DLPT in Chinese and try to get that extra pay if you think you can do well enough!
ejrwelch is offline   Reply With Quote