View Single Post
Old 02-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #6
jbpr77

jbpr77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandL View Post
Ah, OK. With YNS you would spend a couple of months in Meridian, MS then just go up to Groton for BESS. I don't know how assignments would work from there, esp. if YNS is not separate in A school. BESS is pretty short. They made some change in YNS recently, but I don't really understand the implications.
The YN is an important guy on the boat.
Attack subs do 6-8 month deployments, but on something like an 18 month cycle, so they go about a year in port or the shipyard, during which they will do short underways. For that matter, you could end up on a PCU or a boat going into the yard for extended maintenance, and go a couple years without much sea time. But surface ships are pretty much the same way, you would just have better communications and a bit more living space.
Boomers go out for shorter durations, but more often. SSNs and SSGNs get to make port calls, SSBNs don't.
To be guaranteed an Ohio class, you would have to be something like an MT.

Join the Navy, see the world. 3/4 of it is water.

Thanks a lot for this information.I need to do maybe one last question about how is sea duty rotation schedule. If first or second or third sea duty tour on any job require from 3 to 5 years each one, how is the time period divided into sea/port period?. For example, first sea tour is about 4 years, then from these 4 years you can spend 10 months on a ship and later 2 months on port. Second year the same schedule and so forth, until finish first 4 years sea tour. It's is correct?.

Regards,

JGB
jbpr77 is offline   Reply With Quote