Thread: 2015 IT's
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #13
enerG

enerG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotOfWSC View Post
No, 4yr ITs don't get the push button e4, but that's okay because advancement to 3rd has been at 100% for a while, so with you already having a degree which means you're going in e3...you'll be e4 in no time at all. Even with the auto advancement, what people don't know is that you still need TIR (time in rate) to pick up, so even with the push button, 6yrs still have to do time as e2 and e3 (6yrs get to put on e2 after boot). With your degree concentration in IS, you will more than likely have a good grasp on the networking side of things because we are ALL about the security of our networks and systems. I'm primarily a comms guy and withing 2 weeks of checking on board to my command, they sent me to class to get Security+ certified. I got my degree before joining as well (in computer information systems), so I already knew a lot, but you will still learn more...especially as you actually start to do work outside of school. Also, if you think you can pass the cert without the class or have done self study, you can request a voucher to take certs.

I know my IT experience gained will translate, but if I do get a com position within IT would the skills and work experience acquired translate to civ life and trying to get a job on the outside?
enerG is offline   Reply With Quote