View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #21
Coppertop

Coppertop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaicyr View Post
Hello all, future sailor Kennedy here. Would like to know as much about my rate as possible. If someone could answer these questions in depth, I'd very much appreciate it.

1) Any difference at all, job wise, between IT's and IT ATF's? I know I'll go to "C" school, but what purpose does that serve me? Big advantage there?

2) I am enlisting as an E-3, will this mean I will be automatic E-4 out of "C" school?

3) Where is "C" school?

4) Did I choose well in signing the 6 yr contract? Do IT people generally like their rate? I feel confident I'll appreciate it, but I can only speculate.

Thanks guys.
Soon to be ITSA here at your A-School in Corry Station. You made a great choice man, IT school is a pretty sweet gig and from what I've gained about fleet life is we have it made out there. With that said on to your questions.

1) It's with 4 year and 6 year contracts go to the same A school and do he same job in the fleet. The only difference is you go to C-school after completion of A-school and you are a push button E-4. I'll elaborate on both those.

2) Yes, you will make E-4 the day you graduate C-school. However it is possible to get promoted at the end of A-school if you are the top two of the class. May not seem like much, but hey its better pay for 4-5 months.

3) Your C-school will be at Corry Station, Pensacola, FL which is also where your A-school is. There are two C-schools for ITs: System Administration (Computers) and Journeyman's Communication Course (Radio). JCC lasts about 3 and a half months, SysAdmin goes on for about 5 months. After that you get to the fleet, although it is possible you wont even work in the same field you went to C-school for. Also which C-school you go to is entirely random.

4) If you're looking to make the Navy a career, you definitely did well in getting that advancement and extra schooling with the 6 year contract. Personally I had the option of both and went with the 4 year contract, but I've always had the intention of getting out after 4. See what I said earlier about ITs.

So yeah, that should all be really helpful info. If you have any other questions about boot or IT A-school feel free to ask here. Happy to help, I know this site did that for me.
Coppertop is offline   Reply With Quote