Thread: New CTM aboard!
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2015, 10:50 AM   #13
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLinux View Post
Well, I spoke to the ECM and I'd have to wait until FY18 to have a shot lol. The ECM was quite rude. I mean, inexplicably rude. My questions were all about manning and the likely trend of CTN3 becoming CREO2 again. She went off several times about me talking to a recruiter and how she wasn't a recruiter. I had to calmly tell her that I know more than the recruiters and I'm not asking a recruiting question and that I was asking about manning. After snapping, she answered my question. She said that I could take a reduction in paygrade to come in as an E-3 but that would hurt me for promotion because the automatic E-4 out of A school would not apply to me as I am prior service. I would take a RIR but since I HYT out, I would hit the reserves HYT for E-3. So, as I see it, my options would be to aim for DPEP to CTN2 or DPEP to IT, CTT, or IS. I want CTN bad though. The only thing is I only have 2yrs of work experience for CTN vs the 4yrs that is required. I would have to talk to whoever makes the deciding factor on whether or not the experience/certifications/schooling that I have is enough for E-5 in the reserves. Hopefully certifications can knock some of that time off because I'm working towards CCNA R/S and Sec right now.
I'm sorry to hear the ECM gave you a hard time, that's definitely not the norm from what I've experienced.

The reduction in rate bit is pretty common for priors coming back, but with the IDCRC (Reserve CTs) making a push into cyber, I can't imagine it would be difficult making rank again. It's not as hard to stand out in a reserve unit if your prior active and have some motivation.

On the rate aspect, especially in the reserves, CTs cross pollinate quite a bit. Especially CTRs in terms of cyber/non-cyber work; they can go between easily. Currently for our cyber reservists we have a handful of CTTs, a couple CTRs, and a CTNSN. So just getting your foot in the door as a CT in the reserves can open that door up for you, and having that background will make you a strong candidate to fill that position.

It sounds like you're more concerned with just being able to serve in that role rather than the rank and recognition aspect, so if that's the case I would say just push for the soonest available spot to get into the IDCRC. Once you're in, there's also the possibility of an RC-to-RC rate conversion. Which wanting to go into cyber and being qualified, shouldn't be a huge issue as a CT.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote