View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #134
jzhaun
**Active Duty**

jzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud ofjzhaun has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSpook View Post
That... that's wicked cool. My wife and I are weighing out all of our options, and we've agreed that we're totally cool with the needs of the Navy. However, we realize that while I'm good with Asian languages and have lots of Asian friends who teach me things here and there, being stationed in HI makes seeing both of our families slightly more, uh, freakishly expensive. Outlandishly expensive, really, and I don't think I've ever used the term "outlandish" in a more appropriate sense.

GA is closest to my family, which would make visits infinitely more possible, but everything I've heard about being stationed in GA is "well, it is what you make it." I'm not good with Arabic-oriented languages, but I can learn. My wife and I have lived in a very tiny 3-room apartment with no sink (long story) for 2 years, so we're gonna have a good time anywhere, but still...

Not really a huge fan of Spanish, and I'm not big on vodka so Russian also feels pretty "meh" to me. To those ends, being stationed in TX doesn't accomplish much. It's near some of her family that she doesn't really know, so it gets a point for functionality, but altogether I'm torn between HI and GA to raise a family in.

It's quite relieving to know that if we come to a decision, there's a tiny tiny tiny chance that we could request a change.

Any idea what scores typically get a switch approved?
It's not going to be about your scores. I mean, if you have a 100 and want Arabic that's probably not happening, but as long as you're within the range they don'tt care. What it's about is luck. Basically it's the same as a Dar - somebody didn't show up and now there's a slot. It's only going to work for languages that they're currently filling classes for, which are usually but not always the same languages they offer you at boot camp.

As far as languages go - Russian guys go to Maryland first tour. Sand languages tend to be more of a gamble (less people pass) but also make more money. I would always recommend to go with the language you like best though, because in my experience, most people who aren't interested in their language for its own sake don't pass.

Ps-person asking about ranking up as a cti: we get e2 at the end of boot camp and e4 at the end of a school.

Last edited by jzhaun; 11-03-2014 at 10:57 PM.
jzhaun is offline   Reply With Quote