View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 10:06 PM   #121
Willow

Willow is on a distinguished road

I have a question regarding my contract. My rate is CTN and I'm going in as an E-2. I have an A & C school in my contract. One of my enlistment guarantees is "Training in the Advanced Electronics Field (AEF)... and advancement to paygrade (E-4) per MILPERSMAN Articles 1160-040 and 1510-030." My recruiter just told me I would automatically get E-4 after completion of A-School, but after reading 1510-030 there seems to be a few catches.

On Page 8:" ... c. Personnel are authorized guaranteed advancement to E-4
after successfully completing “A” school or advanced training
required to attain rating designation and after serving 6 months
TIR as an E-3
. The following must also be completed or obtained
prior to advancement to E-4:
(1) All requirements completed for advancement in rate;
(2) Performance appraisal review;
(3) Command officer’s recommendation. "

If I'm reading this right I won't get E-4 immediately upon completion of A-school, since I'll be an E-2 during A-school and won't have fulfilled the necessary 6 months TIR as an E-3.

Was my recruiter right about getting E-4 immediately upon completion of A-school or is my reading of MILPERSMAN correct? Also, is it normal to get Command officer's recommendation if you get good grades and graduate?

I forget which MILPERSMAN article it was in, but I read that A-school for CTN's is in and of itself considered advanced training, and as such rewards an NEC to it's graduates. Does this mean that CTN's with a C-school would get two NECs somehow? Or just the initial one, perhaps?

Thanks for any help you can give!
Willow is offline   Reply With Quote