View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 04:48 AM   #249
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Morales,

What's up, dude? I'm Haasino, the resident AW here... I'm still getting settled in here on deployment, but I've got internet access in my hotel room, so I should be able to get back to you within about 24-48hrs if you have any questions... in the meantime:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Morales View Post
Sup guys! Few questions about the reservist AWO pipeline. I have a feeling mine will be a bit different.
I'll say! I swear, the Navy doesn't understand the AW pipeline at all when they give out SelRes AWO orders... you'll see why in a second.

Quote:
Quick backstory: I am prior active duty, AME. Did 5 years working Prowler/Growler @ NAS Whidbey Island and 3 years on Instructor duty teaching AME "C" School @ NAS Lemoore. I separated in March and joined the reserves in May as an AWO. The conditions were that in order for me to strike that rate, I'd have two chances to take the AWO2 rating exam. No school necessary, just need to pass with a 37. I find it a bit odd that they aren't sending me to Aircrew school, AW "C" school, SERE or VP-30.
It's more than a bit odd... not even touching on the fact that they're making you take the AWO2 exam (What's your current paygrade?)... without the Water Survival training from NACCS, "A" School, VP-30, and SERE, you are unable to fly on naval aircraft as anything but a passenger. Given that our job only exists in the back of a plane, I'm not sure what they're planning there...

Quote:
1st Question: Will I be awarded the AWO NEC once I pass the AWO2 exam? If not, which schools should I request at my NOSC?
So, as I touched on above, in order to be given the basic 8201 Aircrew Candidate NEC, you'll need to graduate Naval Aircrew Candidate School. So NACCS is the first school you'll need. The next NEC that will be awarded will come at the end of Category I Fleet Replacement Aircrew Training at VP-30... you'll be awarded one of four NEC's depending on whether you went P-3C Orion or P-8A Poseidon, and whether you're an Acoustic or Non-Acoustic Operator. The trick there, is that those orders originate from AW "A" School... so while "A" School technically doesn't give you an NEC, you need it to get your foundation and orders to VP-30. Finally, all Maritime Patrol and Reconnaissance aircrew are required, at a minimum, to attend 14 days of Level-C SERE in either Warner Springs, CA or Rangeley, ME... most AWO's will be required to attend more advanced follow-on courses at other sites in the future. Once all of those classes have been completed, and you've passed an Open/Closed Book NATOPS exam and Check-Ride, you'll be able to fly as aircrew and begin the 18 month AWO PQS.

Quote:
2nd Question: I tried to find some study materials online for AWO, but the non-resident training courses seem to be classified. I took the AWO2 exam in July and I had no clue about NATOPS, Submarines or Sonar buoys. (Not scared for now because a 37 should be easy to cut) But I would like to be prepared for the AWO1 exam once that time comes. Can anyone help a shipmate out with some study material/AWO gouge?
Unfortunately, 98% of everything we need to know is not obtainable unless you have SIPR access. The only things I can think of that are Unclass and potentially obtainable would be the OPNAVINST 3710.7U for NATOPS, the Stennis Space Center RP 33 for oceanography and acoustic fundamentals, and either Janes Fighting Ships/Aircraft or just Wikipedia for ship and aircraft visual recognition... you're not going to be able to access the ranges of weapons, but try to memorize what ship and aircraft have what weapons... try to know land-based weapons as well... especially surface-to-air launchers and radars associated with them.

Hopefully those can set you in the right direction to start... let me know if you have any other questions.

- AWO2

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote