View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
asailorswife

asailorswife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenanigans View Post
My boyfriend left yesterday & everyone keeps saying "Stay busy" which isn't helping me any...the more I have on my schedule, the less I can focus on anything but missing him...any suggestions?
The non sugar coated message - learn to deal with it. He'll be gone a lot.

The better message? Take things one day at a time. This was the advice my husband gave to me when he left for boot the first time. Take it one day a time. If you can handle one day, then you can certainly handle 2... After 2 days, you could double that, and handle 4 with no problems.. Then you can handle a weekend... A week.. A month.. And so on. He WILL be gone a lot. There's no getting around that. Bootcamp and the first deployment are really the hardest. You're unsure of a lot - how much will they change, how much will you change, etc. After that point, it's not easy by any means, but you learn how to cope in your own ways. For me, it's staying busy. The busier I stay, the less I have time to focus on his absence. I also try to learn something new every time he leaves. One of the deployments, I learned how to sew.. another one, I learned how to crochet.. I ran a 5k while he was gone for the first time once. Things that will keep you focused on what you're doing, and not what you're missing.

Sarah

asailorswife is offline   Reply With Quote