View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
cire

cire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar View Post
Just wondering cire, why did you decide to get out after 6 years? I'm guessing you got offered a nice job
I actually did't! When you get out, they say you should already have a job lined up. I know a few people personally who got out with no job lined up, sat around for a few months back at their parents house then rejoined.

Personally, I got out of a couple of reasons. Mainly, I had a VERY easy Navy career up to that point.. starting with boot camp, and it just got easier every place I went to since then. I wasn't slacking off or it was by choice, I was damn good at what I did, but I knew that karma would bite me and if I reenlisted it would have been 4 years of pure hell. The house always wins and I wanted to cash in and get out while I was ahead. The other reason was that I was in for 6 years.. once you hit the 10 year mark, you might as well stay in and finish it out and "retire".. so typically people will get "stuck" once they hit the half way point. A lot of people will also get stuck because once they are in around 10 years, they are already around 30 years old, will half spent most (if not all) of their adult life in the military, and might not have any real training for the civilian world - especially for those people who are in certain rates.. I didn't really fit that bill since I had a ton of different paths I could have gone career wise once I got out, but I didn't want to stay in and get out at 40 years old and be limited to my options. I had also hurt my knee about a year before my reenlistment date which pulled me off the ship, I was afraid of my knee wouldn't handle it (and I'm still having issues with it to this date.. I should probably file my disability)

So I got out and did what any "free" person would do without a job lined up. I sat on my butt for 2 months doing absolutely NOTHING. I went to the beach, I played on my computer.. I didn't iron, didn't cut my hair, didn't cut my nails, hell I barely showered.. it was awesome. Near the end of the 2 months I realized I should get a job so I got a job as a subcontractor working for NMCI tech support.. that lasted a week.. it sucked.. bad. Half way through the first training week half the class was looking for a new job. I found one that Thursday night and started my new job on Friday as a web developer, and never looked back.

Sometimes I do wonder how things would have turned out if I had stayed in.. I was up for 1st class on the next cycle, who knows, I could have been a Chief by now... lol I would also be "retiring" in 7 years.. I say "retire" because in the military, enlisted never truly retires.. you don't get out at 20 years and go live on a beach somewhere.. you retire, then go and get another job. Unless you possibly are a Senior or MC... or a higher up Officer

Anyways, for the most part I'm happy with my decision

Quote:
mack_it_nasty: my boyfriend wouldnt like that gee.
geeMA: the hell? you told me you were single. lol
mack_it_nasty: oh did i...
geeMA: i got trolled
cire is offline   Reply With Quote