View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 10:09 AM   #20
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
Thank you, I heard that's only turds who the instructors want out. That's what it says in "Breaking BUD/s". Those people still have street cred though for making it through Hell Week.
It's people who are physically and mentally strong enough to pass the tests, but don't have the personality that fits the team dynamics... too passive, too aggressive, know-it-all, not team players, etc. You can't just pass the tests and make it... your instructors and teammates need to accept you or you're getting hounded into dropping.

Street cred? I don't think you realize that most active duty Sailors regard SO's for the most part as just another Sailor in a highly-trained rate. The Hollywood glamorization of SEALs is largely a civilian phenomenon. There are a lot of guys who graduated BUDS and dropped/got dropped and are in the fleet... harps don't chime when they enter a room. So a DEPper telling a First Class Cryptologic Technician that he should try to go SO is, honestly, just laughable from our standpoint. I've only joked with CTT1 about going Aircrew because that's a billet he can fill as a CT, and we're both rated active duty Sailors.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"