View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
rouhanashi

rouhanashi is on a distinguished road
Default Not sure about NF anymore?

Hello! I'm a high school senior who enlisted in late June. I auto qualified for NF, and my recruiter didn't really discuss any of the other jobs I was interested in and assumed since I didn't shoot it down, I'd go nuke. I felt a little unsure about my rating, and I even reclassed at MEPS and was AW for a week or two until my nuke contract came in and I reclassed again.
So now, 4 months into my DEP period, I'm second guessing myself. I'm definitely open to being a nuke, I see all the great opportunities regarding money and education. However, the Navy is something I want to do as a career, 20+ years hopefully. My dad was EN 26ish years in the Navy, and I want to do the same. I loved the way I grew up.
I have a few questions before I decide to sit down and talk to my recruiter about changing my rating, or happily sticking with NF. I'm hoping this is just the natural second-guessing phase, y'know?

1) Are nukes treated any differently out in the fleet?
I want to work hard and have adventures and travel, not be treated like a special case because I'm a nuke.
2) Some people say they hate their time in the fleet as a nuke. Why is that?
I understand some people from every corner of the military will hate their time in. Is the number of dissenters from NF higher, or am I just noticing it more because that's what I'm going into?
3) What does NF look/feel like long term?
And could I change my rating if I didn't like it after the initial six years?

Thank ya'll for taking the time to read this!
rouhanashi is offline   Reply With Quote