View Single Post
Old 04-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #2
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz57 View Post
I got DEPped in on Thursday of last week and was given the rating of PACT-SN. It was the only rating available and I am more focused on joining the Navy entirely than being concerned about the rating I get.

HOWEVER, I still would much rather have an actual rating rather than undesignated.

I don't ship until December 15th so I am going to put in a DAR today with my recruiter.

But, can anyone shed some light on a couple things for me;

1. Realistically, do DARs get approved? Do I have a better chance since I am waiting until December
Really this just depends on your specific qualifications (ASVAB) and the manning levels of the fleet. If you submit a request for just anything, there is a chance something could shake loose. But again, DAR's are just a request. So there's no promise anything is gonna change outside of what you signed your name for.

Quote:
2. Would they call me and say random jobs are opening up or do I make a list of some I would take
If your recruiter gets a call that something's open then he'll call you and ask if you want it.

Quote:
3. Someone told me that would mean that I would have to leave for boot that same week they offer me a different job and approve my DAR. Is that true?
That's not true. Basically when you go down to MEPs and sign for a rate, all you're actually doing is saying "Hey Navy, save me a spot in that A-school". So the Navy gets you a spot in that A-school and then that determines when you actually ship out, so you can be at the school at the right(ish) time. So if you change your rate, then obviously you would need to change your ship date since that school date is probably going to be different than what you originally signed for. Make sense?

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote