View Single Post
Old 12-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #271
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jccjmgc View Post
CTT1(SW) Griffin -

Great thread with a ton of useful information about the CT community. My son is getting ready to go in after he graduates high school in May, and is trying to decide between CTT AEF, CTT and CTR. His ASVAB scores are high enough for all three, so should be no issues there.

Do you happen to know what the drop/fail rate is for the AEF school? I was a NUKE, and I remember that if you failed out of nuke school you went into the conventional Navy as your rate (MM, ET, EM). Is CTT AEF similar? Is the AEF school anything to worry about?

Also - do the CTT AEF guys get to do the same ops stuff as the CTTs? He wants to also be involved in operating the equipment, and not just repairing. Being a push button E-4 is intriguing from an advancement perspective, but are there any other advantages for being CTT AEF vs. CTT.

Thanks so much!
Hey there,

I personally don't know anyone who's dropped from the Tech track (AEF CTT's are SLQ-32 techs, so we typically differentiate by calling them techs versus us operators). If the pipeline is still the same at Corry, they will go through A-school first anyway so they should already have a rate before starting the meaty portion of tech training.

Yes the techs absolutely operate the gear. All that extra training they get is in maintaining the gear, but they're still operators regardless. The operators (guys who didn't do the 6y track) will also be doing plenty of maintenance as well, they just won't have the in-depth knowledge the way the techs do.

The AEF track will pretty much guarantee you're going to a ship since those are the only platforms with that system. So keep that in mind as well. Other than that, they usually get enlistment bonuses (this changes yearly though based on manning levels) and have credible skills in electronics.

Really any of those jobs he picks will be great. There really isn't a bad CT job in my opinion. We have one of the best lifestyles in the Navy. Feel free to ask me anything else that comes up!

/r
CTT1