View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #14
Rach4USN

Rach4USN is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PringleMan View Post
In order asked

Living conditions. I assume with this you mean more like the base in general. If you have ever lived in the south, that gives you a good idea what the base is like. We are a joint space with the Marines even though they are their own command, and there is also a Naval Air Station here that does their own thing. On base pretty much all there is to do is PT and go to the on base bar. There is also a bowling alley run by MWR and they are in the process of making a paintball course, but there is no ETA on that. In town there are your usual set of stores but nothing special that I have found so far. There are actually a lot of outdoors activities around like river kayaking and such, but it is hard to find people to go out with you to do that.

Tests. There are two basic types of tests, performance tests and knowledge tests. Performance tests will be along the lines of "here is a rough draft, type up a properly formatted naval correspondence of this type" and you have to make sure that everything is absolutely perfect. Knowledge tests are focused on the actual content but most of them you can use the references, so they are really more an exercise of knowing where to look for the answer.

Rooms. The barracks feel more like an old hotel on the outside, the rooms themselves have a common living space with 4 "tacs." Each tac can have up to three people in them, but most of the rooms have only two people. Your supplied furniture is a bed with two drawers in front, a desk with a drawer, and a gear locker. Each individual tac also has its own refrigerator and bathroom. During inspections they will only inspect items out in the open so as long as you put everything away and don't leave any food unsealed you are good to go. The flooring is a basic ceramic tile, the tile in the individual tacs is nicer than the tile in the mod common room.

Lastly about the top of class pick your orders thing, I am sorry to say that the YN A school no longer practices that. You get whatever orders you get, and that is that. It doesn't matter if you are first or last in your class in terms of your orders. However it DOES matter if you are first or second because the first two students of a class are honor graduates, and the honor grads get entered into the Early Advancement Program. In the EAP you get recommended for early advancement at your next command, and your next CO will decide if you deserve it or not based on evaluation by your supervisors. If they approve it, you don't have to take the advancement exam for E4. Commander Stockton (The CO of NTTC) also caps anyone E1 or E2 that are honor grads. So if you are an E2 then at graduation you are made E3 AND put into the EAP, so you could potentially go from E2 to E4 by March.

I personally like it down here. Like I have said elsewhere I value peace and quiet and boot camp was madness. The PT is not too bad either. The nice thing about this base is that you do a PFA during your indoc week (all indocs will take it) and if you pass that plus your indoc personnel inspec, then you are automatically phase three. Right now if you fail a room inspection or personnel inspection, then you are just put down to phase two. But you can advance back up on the second week if you pass everything again. So you go from having nothing from boot to having full freedoms.
Thanks Pringle! Youve answered a lot of questions for me personally!

"You were given this life because you were strong enough to live it."
Rach4USN is offline   Reply With Quote