View Single Post
Old 06-24-2015, 05:05 AM   #17
CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie
**Active Duty**

CTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to beholdCTR3(IW/SG) Freddie is a splendid one to behold

Let me give all the deppers some truth. I thought it would be possible to still be able to start doing college classes right away. As soon as I got to my first command, I found out that it isn't that easy. For the first reason, you have to get your IDW, or your commands warfare pin, before you can even start applying for TA. This can take anywhere from a couple months to a max of 3 years. On top of that, you have your watch quals. You have to go around and get trained in the different watches that is mandatory for you to stand. And then after that, you have your actual job qualifications. I was told mine would take around 4 months. And I haven't even gotten to my job yet. I have been here for two months and it could be another possible two months of being here before i get to my job.

So let's add this all up, 2 months of bootcamp+ however long your a school was (5 months for me) + 2 months for warfare pin (if you are an extremely motivated sailor) + job qualification (4 months for me).

That's over a year, and that's not including the time I'm stuck here in holding. Nothing I could do would be able to make this process go faster. No matter how motivated I am, bootcamp will take two months, a school would still taken 5 months. And there's nothing I can do to speed up my clearance so I can get to my job. And since I don't have my clearance. I can't really do my warfare pin. So yeah I said I was going to try and do college courses right away. But things come up and it's not as easy as it sounds.

Of course you can do clept tests and other similar things depending on your command. But actual college courses, it's going to be difficult to get started right away. At least for your first year.