View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 07:09 PM   #3
Bingle

Bingle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by colabottles View Post
How difficult do you think it'd be to DEP in as an AV? I've heard mixed things about availability. I graduate this year and wanted to leave any time after July.

How is A School and how was boot camp? How fit were you when you left compared to when you left? Any things to avoid doing in A School/Boot Camp?

Also, what happens after A School?

That's about all I can think of. Thank you for offering advice!
1. Well it all depends on your ASVAB score, the AV community has the second hardest A school (AT and ET are second hardest, right after Nuke). I got an 83 personally, the lowest I know of in my class is a 7x got about half of the class with a 90+ two with 98's.

2. Boot camp is easy, as long as you keep your mouth shut and pay attention to detail. If you can pay attention to detail and learn not to open your mouth you will do fine. A school is so much more relaxed than boot camp, as long as you pay attention in school you will do fine, the only school I see being a struggle would but AT I level. They have the hardest school out of the three possible for AV. I am O level so I'm not too sure, from what I heard it's pre-calc/calc.

Things to avoid in A school, eh. If you are underage don't drink, I know plenty of guys that do and last weekend alone we had two Navy get caught and a couple marines. Just don't do it, it's not worth the risk, you will regret it.

3. Close to the end of A school you get your orders (I'm close to getting mine actually YAY), when you get your orders you will find out if you have a C school (most likely you will). The C school will be based on the platform (type of Air Craft), you will be working on. The C schools are all over the US, p3/p8 is in Jacksonville, f/a 18 is in Cali (forget where), and so on. Once you complete your C school you will go to the fleet (You can go to fleet before hand, if there is a long time before you start classes at your C school, not very likely though).

As for how fit I was, I went into boot camp at 115 lbs, I'm 5'9" (69"). I was underweight by every standard in the book, shouldn't have been allowed to go actually xD. I was out of shape as well, couldn't pass the physical tests, by the end I was able to with no problem. I'm currently running at 10:15 mile and half without much effort (well was until I got really bad shin splints). I can do 80ish pushups without too much effort and same for sit ups. Once you get to A school, and into your strand class (there are three classes in A school, ATT, AWATT, and your stand. AWATT and strand are put together though), if you go O strand you will be beat. We have the hardest PT on this base,right up there with Air Crew. I have seen Marines fall out of our PT.
Bingle is offline   Reply With Quote