View Single Post
Old 01-08-2014, 12:53 AM   #18
Rickblaine22

Rickblaine22 is on a distinguished road

CTNs don't go to aircrews, and they very rarely go on ships, however, you can expect more of us to be on ships in the future (but not subs...sorry). You have a 100% chance of going to one of the 7 places mentioned above. You'll be at that place for 3 years. Different commands do different things. VA Beach (or Suffolk now) does Computer Network Defense while NIOC Norfolk has a completely different mission. When you are a little more than halfway done with school in Corry, your advisor will bring you a dream sheet where you can request where you want to go. Be advised: this dream sheet means absolutely nothing. It was my experience (I'm a CTN2) that NO ONE in any class above or below me got orders to where they requested. You can plan on one of those 7 places and you can be absolutely 100% certain, beyond a shadow of a doubt that you will in fact go to one of those places. Anyone else who tries to tell you they heard so and so got some weird exotic orders is full of crap.

The one exception to this is ION school (which is still in MD, and I would not call it exotic). You can go there straight out of school, but if you already had orders, it will be next to impossible. To even be able to take the test, you have to have an above 90 average and no test failures. That eliminates about 85% of the JCAC population.

You can also go do stuff with SEALS, but you have to be stationed with a special warfare command to begin with (so they can recruit you), and out of the 7 places you WILL go out of JCAC, none of them are special warfare commands.