View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 07:22 AM   #12
contigo26

contigo26 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdeaGuy View Post
i got a job for local business that had their own in house servers (it was pretty cool as I've never seen real servers before being that I am a software guy) and I worked with a College Grad in Systems Administration (he was
a great guy I liked him a lot).

Everytime something broke I wanted to look at the code and he wanted to look at the logs.

He knew how to use the buttons and menus from the software to make it do
stuff. I knew how rewrite the software to make it do stuff.

e.g.
Sales Person: "Can't we have a button that does this and that?"
Systems Admin: "No because there is no button that does that and this"
Me: "I could just make an html form submission element whose action
points to a back end script I'll write that'll make CRUD requests to various API's so
that this and that can be done."
Everyone: "ummm, what??"

pretty much no one knew what I was doing so I was laid off. Thus I joined
The Navy. Lol. Where I live there are no coding jobs.

The Systems Admin knew a lot about protocols, the operating system, how to set up a server from
scratch, and how to set up our telephony software, & pretty much the same thing you described.

Do you use any type of special software to do your IT stuff? He used all sorts of software.

How do you go about Implementing your idea's to improve the systems? Can you give some examples?
I'm doing an internship at a healthcare facility with thousands employees with over different regional hospitals, hospices around the area, and I work at the operations center for IT where we do all of the call-centers, and support. We do use alot of softwares in monitoring every single equipment whether its (power supplies, switches, routers, phones, etc...)

One of the softwares we use called Solarwinds basically monitors all your devices and bandwidth connected on your network. Ensures and gives you real-time updates whether a device such as a power supply is running in battery backup, if it restarted on its own, when did it do that. It gives every information possible to be able to analyze the situation of that device.

The softwares are a great tool to analyze your networks and traffic.

How implementing your idea's to improve the systems?

An example I can relate to is when i worked at a past university campus. Our boss wanted to integrate wireless technology in all of the classrooms in the department where I worked. I was tasked with another to do research online, looking for products that will fit within reasonable budget and the features necessary needed.
Basically we setup this product which would allow us to be able to control everything from an iPhone which connects to that product wirelessly and be able to use your phone as a remote control. Your able to control turning on the projector, being able to switch modes, to a dvd player, control volume and stuff. There's alot more planning involved for bigger businesses but that's just one of the few planning phases to implement something.
contigo26 is offline   Reply With Quote