View Single Post
Old 05-20-2015, 09:58 AM   #7
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PringleMan View Post
I read his question in regards to that as asking if you can literally do a strike for a submarine rate, as in on a submarine.

Would what you said still be considered striking sub though? I thought striking a rate was more the process of trying out different rates until you found one that you qualified for, liked, and the Navy needed. I guess what I am trying to ask is volunteering for sub duty after you selected a rate be part of the striking process? Or would that just be volunteering for sub duty same as any other rate? Or am I just splitting hairs?
Once you have a rate then that's when you'd drop your package for sub duty.

Here would be a pretty common situation and what you'd most likely encounter:

I'm an undes sailor getting sent to USS Whatever. After a year or 2 I strike as an IT (or whatever, just an example), but I'm interested in Sub Duty. Once it's time to re-enlist and pick my new orders I would talk to my detailer and be like "Hey, I wanna go subs". With my package already completed (because I'm motivated and got it done early) I would submit that and the detailer would see if he can get me the orders and the schools.

There's other ways to do it, but when you're up for a new duty station is a pretty good time to do it. They won't let you out of your first command to go do it early in most cases.

/r
CTT1
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote