View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
Temen
**Active Duty**

Temen will become famous soon enough

Guys, don't worry about the swim qual. I NEVER in my life swam until about 2 months before I shipped out to RTC. And I only practiced a handful of times, my abilities were pushed just floating on my back and swimming in a semi-straight line. As long as you can stay calm and do the back stroke, then the first part of the test is easy.

The 5 minute prone float felt like forever for me, again I am not used to being in water and I panicked badly my first try. You just have to learn to trust your body and the life guards around you. They won't let you drown, as hard as that is to believe at the time. It's all about learning to calm your breathing and heart, you are given plenty of chances to take a breath so just remind yourself that you can come up for air at any time.
It took me about 5 tries to pass the prone float, but I know a lot of people in my division were still going to swim classes up until the last week of boot camp.

You'll all do fine and you'll quickly learn that they will do all that they can to NOT kick you out of the navy. Even if it means being pushed back a few times, you will graduate.
Temen is offline   Reply With Quote