View Single Post
Old 06-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #5
Temen
**Active Duty**

Temen will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the aviation community.
Sadly, I have yet to go to the boat in my 3 year career, so I have yet to see ABs in action. Only ABEs I've seen were doing shore duty billets (not their typical in rate jobs) such as mail room and first lieutenant (in charge of school house cleaning) petty officers.
From my understanding ABHs are mostly in charge of moving aircrafts around the flight deck, so you will not touch any maintenance.
If you want to be an aircraft mechanic, then it sounds like you want to be an AM or an AD.
AMs are airframers, they take care of the hydraulic systems and body work.
ADs are the mechs, they take care of the engines and related systems.
Or you could be an AE and have your hand in a bit of everything. After all, wires touch about everything.

AMEs mostly take care of the air systems for pilot breathing and comfort. They are also responsible for ejection seats.
PRs take care of survival equipment, such as parachutes, flight suits, and helmets.
ATs make sure all of the various electronics are in working order: displays, communication, radar, etc.
AOs mostly load and unload ordnance.

ASs make sure the support equipment for the other rates are in working condition. They take care of the mobile power carts (generators), tow tractors, nitrogen carts, flood lights, etc.
Temen is offline   Reply With Quote