View Single Post
Old 06-09-2014, 06:52 AM   #15
Lurch

Lurch is on a distinguished road

They are both right on the age factor. You won't be thrown into RCPO just for age...I was 20 when I went through, my MA was a 40yo guy, my Port Section Watch was 35 and my Yeoman was 30....so yeah, I had 3 guys I worked with ALOT that one of them had a daughter 2 years younger than me lol. But let me tell you, even though they weren't in charge and I was WAY younger than them.....earn their respect, nothing is given....and for the younger crowd out there who happens to get in charge of older guys like this...doing such that of earning their respect is imperative. Once these guys knew that I could run the show and I knew what I was doing, I told them, look...you 3 are literally old enough to be my father.....so I already know if something needs to be done I am coming to you if these kids around here wont listen to me. as they were my go to...and they were more than willing. Because everytime something would be questioned about another recruits actions/willingness to be there/and all that jazz...the RDC's would call us 3 in there and ask our opinion on the subject, so this is when their age factor came into play big time. And I am glad I got to meet these guys, still talk to them to this day. But that is what it takes. Age means nothing with leadership positions in bootcamp.....heck, our laundry PO just got out of high school, and you could tell because the poor kid tripped over the laundry schedule more than anyone I knew, but hey...he caught on.
Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote