View Single Post
Old 08-01-2016, 07:16 PM   #324
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaseals View Post
This is an awesome thread. Lots of info...

I read on another site that hay fever will disqualify you. Is this a diagnoses question or do they test for it? I imagine everyone gets some form of runny nose when exposed to high levels of pollen and its interesting that this would disqualify you. I understand some people have a more severe reaction to pollen so what is the extent they will allow it.

Thanks.
For the Naval Aerospace Medical Institute (NAMI), Hay Fever or Rhinitis is mostly on a case-by-case basis.

What the flight doc is going to base that on is how often do you have symptoms, how much does it complicate things, and what the actual state of your sinuses are (IE do you have polyps, cysts, something like that).

Typically seasonal allergies are not considered disqualifying, however sinus issues that are consistent or have a large impact would be considered disqualifying.

The reason for this is barotrauma. If your sinuses are all blocked up then your they're going to have a significantly harder time equalizing as you change altitude. Military aircraft change altitude MUCH faster than a civilian aircraft in some cases, so if you're sinuses aren't working correctly then it could case some major issues. Things like blowing your ear drums out or having extreme ear pain, nose bleeds, hearing loss, etc. If you were to experience those in flight it could jeopardize you, your crew, and the mission as a whole (IE they might have to land just for you).

/r
CTT1

Source: NAMI Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide