View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 01:17 PM   #164
Haasino
**Active Duty**

Haasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond reputeHaasino has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBeru View Post
Haasino, big thanks for taking the time to answer questions, I just read this whole thread. I have a wealth of questions and they're mostly AIRR specific. I'm sold on the RS program, I even considered AF Pararescue, but I'm family biased towards the Navy and I want to travel/possibly take classes while active. Here go the Qs:

- What opportunities are there for further training as an AWS/AWR? Like EMT training or anything else within the AW rate, and do those opportunities allow you to advance quicker?

There aren't too many additional qualifications for AWS, however AWR has some qual's related to Anti-Submarine Warfare, radar, and FLIR. There are also always opportunities to be an instructor within the squadron, or a NATOPS evaluator. In general, the more qual's you volunteer for, the better your Evaluations will be which helps you advance.

- You mentioned the schedule for your rate, is that similar for an AWS/AWR? The 0800 to 01500, flights here and there, etc. how about on deployment? What's their work routine like?

I'm honestly not that familiar with the helo day-to-day... I know you're still limited by flight hours and mandatory crew rest requirements, so don't expect 12-18hr work days, followed by 8-12hr watches. Generally, there will be a crew on the ready for SAR, crews flying as needed, and everyone else just kind of hangs out in the RSS shop, works out, or studies if they're still getting qualified. Deployed on a ship, you're not part of Ship's Company... so no working in the galley, no roving or bridge watches, and AW's generally lock themselves in their shop during drills.

- I understand that the large majority of my job will be as a helo crewman, what does that entail? Anti-sub, anti-piracy, transfer of goods, etc. what does that really mean? Day to day, hour to hour, what are me and my helo homies really doing?

It's going to depend on your rating and platform... MH-60R AW's do Anti-Submarine Warfare (And whether we want to acknowledge it or not, ASW is rapidly becoming a national priority again), CSAR, and anti-piracy ops. ASW means dropping sonobuoys and analyzing the data... usually working coordinated ops with us up in the P-3s... most of the specifics surrounding ASW are classified, but you'll learn to see noises, as we put it. CSAR is basically flying into hostile territory, jumping out with a rifle, and grabbing a downed pilot. There's obviously more to it than that... but I've fortunately never been in a position to see the details.

MH-60S crewmen are all about VERTREP... slinging cargo underneath the helo and carrying it between ships. There's a lot of loadmaster work involved... weight and balance, making sure there's altitude clearance, directing the pilots, etc. MH-60S' are always the preferred platform for SAR missions... Romeo's have very little space in the back due to the sonobuoy launch tubes, sensor station, crew-served weapons, and wing pylons... Sierra's, on the other hand, are just like Army Blackhawks and have a wide-open cargo area for rescue baskets and medical personnel. That's not to say a Romeo won't do SAR... but if it's not combat, and a Sierra is there, they'll send the helo with more room in the back... that's why the SAR squadrons all use Sierra's.

- How many SAR or CSAR squads are actually in the Navy? Where are they stationed? and, How hard are they to get onto? (I'm actually more and more coming around to the idea of just being an aircrew on a helo, aside from RS qualifications)

The only truly dedicated SAR squadrons I'm aware of are Whidbey Island SAR up here, and Longhorn SAR out in Fallon, NV. These are the only two helo squadrons without HSM/HSC designators... they fly white & orange MH-60S' with RESCUE all over them, are attached directly to the CO of the base, and only do military and civilian rescues. Here in Whidbey, WISAR handles any request from Washington State for rescue or Medivac, so they're always running missions to aid civilians. Besides that, VX-31 down in China Lake has a small SAR contingent... HSC-25 in Guam gets a lot of SAR calls because the Coast Guard is stretched thin out there... and HSC-12 in Atsugi, Japan also gets a bit of action from what I've heard. As far as CSAR, the only dedicated squadron for that is in the Air Force. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how easy or hard it is to get into any of these squadrons... WISAR and Longhorn SAR are essentially shore duty assignments... so I'd assume you're looking at 2nd tour assignment there.

- Do you know how much of a RSs career really involves the RS side of it? Training, etc (I understand there is very little rescuing to be done, which is a good thing) How do RSs differ from other aircrew, other than the Helo platform?

Aside from the RS training and qual's, it's pretty much just day-to-day helo operations. AWR's and AWO's have very similar jobs on the ASW front... AWO's just have more collateral duties related to the P-3 & P-8's expanded role in Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance missions. There's also the shipboard life aspect that fixed-wing guys don't experience... unfortunately I really don't know what that's like.

I know it's a lot to ask and that it isn't even your area, but if you can just tell me what you know. I'm an over-thinker just trying to wrap my head around a 6 yr commitment. Really appreciate it brother, you're the man
Answers to you questions are in RED above.

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
Haasino is offline   Reply With Quote