View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasaquinas View Post
Hi kforbes,

Craig M referred me to you, (Thanks Craig M!)concerning some questions I have about AECF.

My 17 year old who is a Senior in HS this year, was just sworn into the Navy Tuesday! We are very excited for her, and she is excited as well. She took her ASVAB test on Monday, the physical Tuesday. I think due to her ASVAB score she was led to chose for her career the AECF.

So, my questions to you are: as a young women, is this a good direction for her?? Honestly kforbes, not sure if you're male or female, but either way, you input would appreciated. Obviously as a parent we want her to go in the right direction and into something she will not only enjoy but excel at.

Thank you kforbes!

Thomas
Thomas,
I can definitely answer a lot of your questions. By the way I'm female. To answer your first question, is it a good direction. Well that all depends on what she likes to do. If she's very handy, likes to fix stuff and is into technology I would say yes. ET's generally are considered the "Everything Tech" and they fix a lot of stuff from computers to radar on ships. We are well trained in electronics and electrical stuff. FC the other rate generally do the same but with the weapons systems on ships. The schooling is pretty intense and definitely college level with a LOT of math and electric theory involved.

Unfortunately you don't have a choice in ET or FC and you find out about 3/4 of the way through boot what you'll get. Now it is a great field cause the rewards after Navy life with good job opportunities that make pretty good money. Also bonuses are nice to ET/FC for reenlistment. You also get a lot of college credit going through A school and follow on with C school. If you have anymore questions please email me at ***EDITED BY ADMIN, I WILL SEND PM TO HIM WITH YOUR ADDRESS **** it's easier to get a hold of me that way cause I don't get on the web often. I can definitely give you any input needed.

Last edited by Craig; 08-07-2009 at 09:36 AM.