Thread: Life on a ship
View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #27
kforbs126

kforbs126 is just really nicekforbs126 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamablama View Post
Thank you for posting this. I'm going AC and have heard so many things about how stressful the job is, and how people commit suicide because they can't handle it. It honestly scared me at first to the point where I wanted to switch rates. But my recruiter got in touch with a couple AC's he knew and I got to sit down one on one with them, and that made me really excited to do this rate.
I think a lot of this suicide rate is blown out of proportion to scare people. In 2013 the Navy had 38 suicides, 60 the previous year and 2011 53. Now yes that's a good amount of people but a lot of people join that have mental issues and then the stress of the job gets to them. But a lot of people who do it have other issues like financial, relationship, etc. It can be any rate not just Nuke or AC. Many people don't realize what they are getting into. Every job is demanding in the Navy and can break people. They do a lot of training to help with signs and reporting people who may have issues. If things get tough there is plenty of help that the Navy provides.
kforbs126 is offline   Reply With Quote