View Single Post
Old 05-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #7
hustini

hustini is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcTECH View Post
Hi all,

I am a current E-5 in the USMC Reserves (MOS/Rate: Radio Repairer) with my required drilling time coming to an end in a few months. I've been absorbing as much as I can about the cyber field (militarytimes articles, reddit, etc) and I believe that Navy CTN is the best fit for me. I meet the basic requirements, can obtain a Conditional Release, should have no issue getting a TS, and understand the school is hard but it can be done if you study very hard.

My question here is "Would I be able to transfer directly from the USMC reserves into Navy Active Duty with a rate of CTN?" I called a Navy Recruiting Station and they directed me to a prior service recruiter. However, they told me the only way I could switch to the Navy was to enlist in the reserves as a CTN once a spot opens and can be eligible to request active duty two years later.

Being in the military for 5 years I am skeptical to take a recruiter’s word for this. Is enlisting into the reserves first really the only route?

Anddddd if that isn't reaching for the clouds enough, would I qualify for a bonus or Student Loan Repayment?

Thank you in advance for your responses.
If you have a degree, you should qualify for a bonus as a CTN. I received a big bonus when I enlisted a month ago for CTN as a Reservist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzhaun View Post
Signing bonuses are currently offered to Nuke, CTI, and various flavors of SPECWAR, but not CTN.
I swore in a month ago today as a CTN Reservist and I got a rather lovely bonus for it as well.

:edit: I do, however, have a Masters in Cybersecurity as well as a B.A so perhaps that was enough to get the bonus? :notsure:
hustini is offline   Reply With Quote