View Single Post
Old 07-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #40
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustini View Post
I wasn't expecting to a detailer to help me get a civilian job :D

I wanted to talk to one simply to get an understanding of what a Reserve CTN's early career path might look like or how to make myself more competitive for when I'm able to start applying for different roles (and how long that path might take). Of course I'm not naive enough to think "getting in" with a detailer is what I'm trying to do. I literally have not IT/military background so its entirely new for me so a couple nice contacts to chat with over coffee is all I'm looking for

I know I'll be at Andrews AFB but haven't met anyone in my Unit yet. My recruiter is supposed to try and connecting me with fellow CTN's so hopefully he keeps true to his word on that.

Interesting on the last sentence, can you elaborate why that might be different? Thanks!
What I'm saying is that a detailer is not the right place to be directing those questions. They just fill billets, that's it really. It's like if I wanted to know how to be a good aircrewman, but went and asked the guy who writes the flight schedule. Sure he might have some input, but that's not the right place to be asking that. Also in most cases detailers are E7 and above that are usually pretty swamped, so again that doesn't make them ideal people to go to for that (especially as a brand new sailor).

Who you need to be talking to is your Chief (or LPO). They will have been there already, will know all the right people (especially in the Reserves, trust me. All the IDCRC Chiefs know each other for the most part), and will know how to set you on the right track. Also considering these are the folks writing your evals, it makes even more sense to chat with them.

As far as getting in touch with them, don't rely on your recruiter to do that. What you need to do is contact your NOSC and ask them to put you in contact with one of the CTN Chiefs or 1st classes (any of the CT's at NIOC will do really). I don't have my Homeport access anymore, but my best guess is that your NR NIOC unit probably reports to NOSC Washington DC (All the reserve NIOC units are subordinate to their local NOSC). So I would give them a call (try the admin dept maybe) and see if they can get you a contact with one of the CT's over at your eventual unit. Their FB lists their number as (240) 857-8947/8948

=======================

Also, I was the LPO of a reserve cyber/CTN shop for 2 years. I have a wealth of knowledge about what you'll need, where you can go, how to get there, etc, etc. I've done everything from your evals, AT, going on orders, getting schools, etc. If you want to chat offline just send me a message and I'll get you my contact information.

/r
CTT1