View Single Post
Old 07-13-2016, 09:51 AM   #38
FlyNavy
**Active Duty**

FlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond reputeFlyNavy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hustini View Post
The point of meeting the detailer wasn't to "line" anything up from that point of view, its more to see what kinds of opportunities a Reserve CTN might have in the years to come, especially a new one plus answer any questions I might have.

I didn't elaborate clearly. Since I'm a Reserve, I do want something lined up be it military side or civilian side, I won't be picky but not being active duty I don't want to risk not having something full time when I'm done with training. I'm still learning how this works and I have a decent network pool to tap into in the DC/NOVA area to connect me with people for advice, not necessarily jobs.

A couple Reserve people (not CTNs ) I've spoken too, (also my recruiter) all claim I can begin applying to civilian jobs when I'm in A school since the process takes time and I can say I finally have a clearance, etc. That's why I want to have a chat with a detailer to see what options someone like me could potentially have. I don't like the idea of waiting until the end of A school to get my ducks in a row. That's just not me.
From reading this it sounds like you think a detailer can get you a job outside the Navy? If so that would be incorrect, aside from maybe a reference (which you could get from anyone). If you want to look at job options for your civi job I would be talking to folks at your eventual command. You should have a rough idea of where you'll be ended up anyway, so if it were me I would be contacting them for a sponsor and then leveraging folks at the command for job tips. Most of the folks in your unit (NIOC) will most likely have come from the active duty side there anyway and a solid handful will very likely work there as civilians still. They should have a plethora of contacts for doing cleared work in the area.

Also as a reservist you're not going to be dealing with a detailer in the same way active duty folks will. So keep that in mind.

/r
CTT1