View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 10:28 AM   #6
wishbone

wishbone is on a distinguished road

I noticed that you are prior military. Are they telling you that you have to go reserves because of some age (or other limitation) of going active? If that's not the case, I'd speak to a different recruiting office. Is IT the rate you want?

Being in the reserves myself, I would NOT count on any guaranteed RC to AC. Things change quickly and it'll be some time before you make it all the way through the program. However, as someone has already mentioned, ITs are generally in demand. If you don't volunteer for a mobilization you'll probably be tagged soon enough. IT support is pretty universally needed across the fleet. The nice thing about the reserves is that you get a lot more choice (unless they non-voluntary mobilize you) than you might active duty.

With that said, if AD is what you want and there's no restrictions from you going that direction, I encourage you to hold out for that. The reserves has it's positive aspects but isn't great for someone looking to jump start a career. It may take some time before the Navy can offer you ADSW or Mob orders of some kind and that can be highly dependent on your unit and their ability to make that happen. If you do end up going reserves keep in mind that it is nothing like AD (if you have prior experience) and you will pretty much be on your own to make stuff happen most of the time.

goodluck!
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote