View Single Post
Old 11-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #14
Chevrons21

Chevrons21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
This is what I did but I don't necessarily recommend it unless you have a lot of trust in your recruiter. When I finally got through MEPs I was told the "security office" was closed and I couldn't sign for anything that required a clearance. At first they tried to make me sign as HM, but I told them that there was no way I could do that job, so I agreed to temporarily sign as a YN with the understanding that my recruiter would "Fix it" and get me into a CT/IS rate. I stayed on top of him every week for about 4 weeks before he got me into what I wanted and also moved up my ship date pretty significantly. Keep in mind that you have the right to drop out of "DEP" at any time without repercussions and I reminded them that I would not ship under a YN contract. That worked for me, but I recommend pushing as hard as you can at MEPs to make sure you sign for what your recruiter promised you. You may have zero issues, but you know how the military process goes sometimes.

The time it takes to complete A/C school for ITs depends on the school you get into. A school is 24 weeks. I honestly don't know what the current C school options for IT are. i did know ITs that had been at Corry a year if that helps. A lot of that has to do with availability of schools when you get there, depending on your timing sometimes you can end up in holding areas for awhile. Your contract will list your schools, if there is no C school listed it is highly unlikely you will be placed in one while out there. It's not the end of the world, just something to consider.
https://www.cool.navy.mil/usn/enlist...o_cards/it.pdf

RE: reserve coordinator at Corry Station
I never met such a person. The entire base (2013) seemed pretty clueless about what to even do with reservists. It was pretty frustrating. You really need to do your research before you get out there. I would contact your local NOSC and see if you can get the career counselor on the phone. I highly recommend getting on the phone and calling people until you can figure out what the likelihood of RC to AC is for you beyond what a recruiter says. There are some additional suggestions here as well as up to date information on current RC to AC opportunities (I thinks someone else linked to that already)
https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...rtunities.aspx
Thank you for the links. The more I read into RC to AC the more I start to worry. I think I need to do more reading about other routes. Also keep reading about reservists stuck wanting to go Active with a few success stories here and there. A lot of them had to cross rate. I would like to go for IT if I could. Going to look into other options as I wait on my recruiter.

I really appreciate all the advice and insight on this. Just having to talk to somebody more knowledgeable about this already gives a small and temporary sense of relief that there might be better options out there.

If it does happen that I do go to MEPS and get to see some sort of contract paper work in the near future, I'll try to update this thread if it doesn't get closed. Maybe it'll help other people in my same situation.
Chevrons21 is offline   Reply With Quote