View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #10
Chevrons21

Chevrons21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
I'm guessing you probably already checked this out:
https://www.navy.com/joining/ways-to...rance-programs

Since you're prior, you probably know this, but I wouldn't expect any guaranteed rate until it was signed at MEPS. When I got there I had to argue and get my recruiter involved after they tried to make me sign as something else.

The reserve only option might be true without going through an exception process. (there's always an exception process). IT A school isn't bad gig. I like Corry Station and you end up with civilian certifications from the school. The biggest issue I see with joining the Navy Reserve as an IT is the lack of C school. Generally the Navy does't want to pay for additional schooling for reservists. If they won't give you one you may be more limited to your opportunities, but you'd need to speak to an IT more about that.

Anyway, I know your original question was about RC to AC. We've had some do that with success in our units (CT,IS,IT), but it tends to be pretty rare. I wouldn't believe anything that wasn't in writing before joining.
I'm already expecting this but yeah, I'm sticking with whatever they have on paper as I sign up. Whatever happened after you argued with them? Did you get the rate you wanted?

"The reserve only option might be true without going through an exception process."

I see. Thanks. I'm very hesitant to try another recruiter as I've already gone through quite a few of them. Frankly I am getting tired of talking to recruiters at this point.

I haven't even thought about the C school and somehow not such a big deal for me on the get go. I saw some other forums where it says if you're going for a 6 year contract that most likely they will get a C school. I figured if I do luck out on that RC to AC program, Big Navy might just give that C school to me since I did opt in for a 6 year contract seeing how hard it is to get in.

Those guys that were able to successfully move over to AD through RC to AC. Any chance you are familiar with their story? As in a vague timeline how long it took them to complete it? 6MOS? 1 YR? 3YRS?
Chevrons21 is offline   Reply With Quote