View Single Post
Old 11-15-2017, 12:43 PM   #9
wishbone

wishbone is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrons21 View Post
Yeah I was prior service for 10.5 years. No they never told me about any restrictions. It was just a plain "you want to go back active duty as a prior? you need to go reserves first." I guess if anything that's what I thought might be the case. Never realized being prior service could be this hard. I went into their office with an open mind. I willing to look for any rate that sounded good to me. The first thing that they tossed to me was MA and IT. It was a rate I wanted when I first enlisted but my ASVAB wasn't high enough. I retook ASVAB. I guess now I can make the cut, so I just went with it. Told me that's the only rates that are open anyways. (probably not true) lol
Mind you at this point I have gone thru quite a bit of recruiters including a few other Navy, ANG, Army reserves recruiters. So it felt like I was catching a lucky break finally finding someone that would work with me.
No I don't have any dirt in my closet (ie DUI, domestic violence), RE-R1 reenlistment code, Honorably discharged.
I'm guessing you probably already checked this out:
https://www.navy.com/joining/ways-to...rance-programs

Since you're prior, you probably know this, but I wouldn't expect any guaranteed rate until it was signed at MEPS. When I got there I had to argue and get my recruiter involved after they tried to make me sign as something else.

The reserve only option might be true without going through an exception process. (there's always an exception process). IT A school isn't bad gig. I like Corry Station and you end up with civilian certifications from the school. The biggest issue I see with joining the Navy Reserve as an IT is the lack of C school. Generally the Navy does't want to pay for additional schooling for reservists. If they won't give you one you may be more limited to your opportunities, but you'd need to speak to an IT more about that.

Anyway, I know your original question was about RC to AC. We've had some do that with success in our units (CT,IS,IT), but it tends to be pretty rare. I wouldn't believe anything that wasn't in writing before joining.
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote